Thursday 4 March 2010

When the day passes you by

...and you realise that you didn't really take much time to appreciate the little things.

I was so busy today. Long story, but I ended up having to buy a new car. Mine has just got too many mechanical problems now to be worth repairing, so I've had to allow it to give up the ghost and get another one.

I guess I should really be grateful that my mum earns a lot more than I do and is willing to share her bounty with me. I've never had money, mainly because I've never had a decent job that earns me decent money. I get money, it disappears. That seems to be the way of things. I am grateful, of course I am, but - it does highlight my shortcomings. The fact that I can only afford a banger and not something halfway roadworthy for longer than a few months, without my mum's help, at the age of 27 - it makes me feel a little shit about myself, as much as I am grateful and happy that my mum can help me when I need it. I do look forward to the day when I have a much more sorted financial situation (not to mention a better job) and can actually afford to buy my mum something nice for once, or take her on holiday. Hell, even a meal out! In fact, that really is something that I should do. Save up the money to take her for a really nice meal before I go back to uni and hit serious skintness.

Seeing as the above is a bit of a double edged sword, I figure I probably shouldn't count it as one of my three things to be grateful for, even though I am if that makes sense. And I sure am grateful that my shiny new car has power steering after 2 years of heaving my go-kart-esque Citroen around. And air con that doesn't involve me opening any windows and breathing in exhaust fumes.

So, here they are for today. The non car related reasons to be happy.

Number 1 - The sun! The sun was out all day today, bringing with it the promise of spring. And I actually saw some tulip bulbs peeking through the soil. Spring is most definitely in the air, even if the winter chill is still there, and I am still firmly attached to my Ugg boots (ok, fake Beijing market ugg boots, but I can pretend, OK?). But there was some warmth in that sun, oh yes. I might have got some vitamin D into my light-starved system, finally!

Number 2 - pyjamas. Why pyjamas, I hear you ask? Well, I have lots of pairs of pyjamas. I love them. There is something so comforting about them. My current favourite pair is a cow print pair of pj pants and a top that says "Moody but marvellous". The cow print pants match my cow print slippers. Let nobody say I am not co-ordinated, even when slobbing out. Putting my pyjamas on is a signal that it's the end of the day and time to breathe out. Time for me. Time when I'm not running around after anyone else. Pyjamas are great, and my pyjama donning moments always make me happier and more relaxed. Everyone should have a favourite pair.

Number 3 - Chilli chocolate. It sounds wrong to many people, but it is my ultimate favourite food combo ever. And the way I like it best is a couple of squares melted and stirred into hot milk to make a hot chocolate with a difference. When I lived in Melbourne, there was this little South American cafe down Lygon Street that used to serve the most amazing hot chocolates, made with seriously dark, rich chocolate, and they were out of this world. My absolute favourite was the chilli, honey and vanilla one, but they also did an orange and cardamom one that came a close second. So when I make my own chilli chocolate at home, I am always reminded of sitting in that cafe listening to sounds of salsa, merengue and mambo, and being transported for a moment to a lively Latin hacienda. I made one tonight, and as always, the taste made me smile. It's one of those things that I will keep coming back to over and over. Kind of like pyjamas in fact.

1 comment:

  1. I am in my 40's, my parents still help me out financially from time to time! Although i am happy to say i have also been in a position at times to be generous to them and my siblings too. But only quite recently. These days mortgages really require two incomes, something our parents did not have to cope with.

    ReplyDelete