Tuesday 9 March 2010

Slipped already!

Well in the whirlwind of visiting friends, and driving home and starting work again, I've been pretty bad at remembering to come on here and blog! And OK, I might have been busy being a gadget freak with my new iphone. I resisted the temptation for so long, but now I have one, well, I'm hooked, I'm ashamed to say. I am careful to keep things in perspective and realise that it's not one of life's essentials and life still happens when you don't have an iphone, but I'm liking it. Nevertheless, I can see the downside possibly being that it is way too easy to waste a lot of time doing things like the Imbecile Test and feeding virtual fish.

Today's first piece of good news is that I have started cycling again. After months off while my knee injury healed, I have watched my fitness steadily decline and my weight go up. I was horrified to get on the Wii Fit and find myself over 11 stone. This is going to change! My first positive of the day was my cycle into work, to arrive feeling pumped and ready to go for the day was a rare change from my usual morning state. That, and I was properly hungry for breakfast, rather than just eating it because I feel I should. There's nothing like the feeling of hunger after physical exercise to make you appreciate food as the fuel it is for your body, and also nothing like pushing your body a little physically to make you want to put the right fuel in it.

The second thing of today that made me feel happy was how chuffed my work colleague was with his birthday cake. My work mate turned 42 today, and he isn't the sort to "do" birthdays, however he told the guy who sits opposite me that it was his birthday today, and he told me....so we decided that the only thing to do with someone who hates birthdays is make a fuss of it of course! We have that sort of relationship in our team where we make our days pass better with banter and humour, so we knew it wouldn't be taken in the wrong way. I found him a card that was actually for a 2 year old and added a 4 to the beginning, and got people in the office to sign it by stealth. The cake was a chocolate hedgehog, and he absolutely loved it! He's kind of a gruff character at times, and the prickly hedgehog sort of suited him, so he was amused - and pleased we'd put in the effort. It was nice to make someone's day, especially as it had been rather a busy one in one way or another.

Right now, I feel happy in fact, because my beloved dog is stretched out beside me on the sofa. He is a proper mummy's boy, and generally does like to be where I am most of the time. I just love the way having a sleeping mutt next to you induces calm - he just looks so peaceful and content, it's impossible for it not to rub off!

No comments:

Post a Comment